Because it opens up the doors.
- Proficiency in English gives you access to much more up to date and high-quality professional and scientific literature.
- It is easier to go study abroad if you master English well.
- English is useful to get a job abroad, but it's also helpful when it comes to working in Slovenia.
- The system of European and global student exchanges is based on reciprocity. If Slovene universities want varied and high-quality opportunities to study abroad for their students, they must assure the same conditions for the exchange students coming to Slovenia.
- It is logical for foreign students, who generally don't speak Slovene, to have lectures in another language. Most exchange students who come to Slovenia study in English. Some more individualised study activities, for example oral examinations or consultations, can also be held in their mother tongue. Almost half of these students would not attend the courses if they were in Slovene.
- Foreign students who come to Slovenia bring with them their culture and ideas, and thus an "outside" view of Slovenia.